Last night I made dinner for The Mister after he arrived home from being in Austin all week working. I’ve always wanted to be successful at making scalloped potatoes, but for some reason in the past they always turned out a bit too raw.
Last night I made this recipe with some additions of my own and it was delicious!
- 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated cheese, to sprinkle on top
- paprika, garlic powder and onion powder to your liking
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and blend in flour.
- Let sit for a minute.
- Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
- Season with salt, cayenne, garlic powder and onion powder to your liking
- Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
- Reduce heat and stir in cheese.
- Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish.
- Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Top with some paprika for color and Parmesan cheese to your liking.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350°F.
Personal Addition: In addition to the Scalloped Potatoes I cooked a pound of ground beef with about 2 teaspoons of McCormick’s Perfect Pinch Lemon Herb Seasoning, a dash of sea salt and black pepper. When the potatoes were done cooking I added the hamburger on top of the potatoes.
It was fabulous. If you try out the recipe, let me know what you think in the comments below. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!